Progress on a new video game

In the spirit of showing my work, here’s a peek at a game I’ve been working on:  codename SPADE. 

A character moving through levels

SPADE started out as a cut down clone of Shamus, an annoyingly hard yet oddly addicting game I played for hours and hours on my family XT clone in the late 80s. Despite all those hours I never got close to clocking the game. I want SPADE to be a game I can actually beat.

I’ve been making the game in pico-8, the same tool I used to make yet another version of robotfindskitten last year. 

I started out building the maps manually using pico-8’s sprite and map editor. It looked kinda like this. Pretty fussy and complicated to write code around.

Pixel art is not my forte

For some reason I decided it would be easier and more fun to do procedural generation of the maps. Darius Kazemi’s articles on how Spelunky’s levels are generated provided the recipe. I expected it would take me a few hours to implement. 

It took a lot longer. Like ages. Like a “how the fuck did I ever consider myself a programmer” amount of time. I got really good at logging and debugging.

DebugView.exe is an app for looking at print statements

I’m now at the point where I have any number of levels and a character that can move through them.

I have a TODO list and whenever the mood takes me and I have some quiet time I try and knock something off the list. Adding robots is next.

I’m not sure when the game will be playable. Working on it is a relaxation thing more than anything else. It’s been quite satisfying to do little bits at a time. I’m collecting screenshots of the game, photos of notes, that kind of thing. That archive has already brought me joy.

 I know I won’t be putting SPADE on itch.io like I did for robotfindskitten. I think it’ll just be for me. I hope I can beat it.

Published by Joe Mahoney

I like things made by people who love their work